News for 31 January 2010

All the news for Sunday 31 January 2010

Missed opportunities cost Kookaburras

Korea have spoiled Mark Knowles’ 150 game celebration, holding out a late surge by the Kookaburras to win the last game of the 3 test series in Hobart tonight 2-1.

Despite the loss, the Kookaburras have claimed the series after winning the first and second game of the series.

Although it was the Kookaburras who did the majority of the attacking in the early stages of the game, it was Korea who struck first with their captain Jong Ho Seo scoring a field goal to set up an early lead.

Korea were given an opportunity to extend their lead minutes later when local fan favourite Eddie Ockenden received a green card, leaving the Kookaburras one man down for two minutes mid way through the first half.

Although Korea generated a penalty corner attempt during this time, Kookaburras goalkeeper Nathan Burgers produced a great save to keep Australia within reach.

The Kookaburras continued to generate scoring attempts, and looked likely to score at the 23 minute mark when Grant Schubert attacked from the top of the circle. Jamie Dwyer was there for the deflection but the ball travelled left of the goals and the Kookaburras remained scoreless heading into half time.

Australia received a boost in the opening stages of the second half, with youngster Glenn Simpson scoring his first goal of the series, leveling the score.

This celebration was only short lived, with Korea answering right back with a penalty corner goal to regain the lead at the 38 minute mark.

Despite the Kookaburras generating several penalty corner attempts in the second half they continued to miss the mark. They were given one last chance with only one minute remaining with their final penalty corner attempt. However the ball was mistrapped, handing Korea the victory and leaving the Kookaburras to regret their missed opportunities.

The Kookaburras will now return to Perth where they will continue to prepare for the 2010 World Cup which will be held in New Delhi, India from February 28.

“I think it confirms as I have been saying all along that we aren’t solid enough yet. Tonight was an important match for a number of young players. We have to finish better and tonight we had five or six penalty corners some missed opportunities. We are a work in progress and tonight underlined that there is still more work to do,” said Charlesworth.  

Korea 2 Kookaburras 1 (1-0 half time)
Goals – Kor Seo 15m FG, Aus Simpson 36m FG, Kor Hyun 38m PC

Hockey Australia media release

India thrash Nepal 21-0 in South Asian Games opener

DHAKA: Skipper Ajitesh Roy led from the front with five goals as the Indian hockey team mauled an inexperienced Nepal 21-0 to make a resounding start at the 11th South Asian Games on Saturday.

Such was India's domination in the match that even coach Clarence Lobo lost count of the team's goal scorers.

Asked how many goals did Man-of-the-Match Roshan Minz score, the amazed coach turned to one of the players for an answer.

According to the coach, India fielded a second string side captained by Ajitesh Roy but the completely inexperienced Nepal, who incidentally featured in their second international outing after 10 years, crumbled nonetheless.

Nepalese, who were playing after featuring in the 1995 Games in Chennai, were playing on the artificial turf for the first time.

It was complete domination by India as Roy led from the front, banging in five goals in the 15th, 58th, 59th, 66th and 68th minutes.

Indian forwards Yuvraj Walmiki and Mohammed Aamir Khan slammed the board thrice each. India drew first blood in the fourth minute through Walmiki who went on to score two more in the ninth and 64th minutes.

Mohammed Aamir banged in three in the seventh, 20th and 57th minutes of the match. Pramod Kumar, Raghunath V and Hamza Mujtaba scored a brace each.

Veteran defender Raghunath converted penalty corners in the 13th and 50th minutes, while forward Pramod sounded the board in the 17th and 44th minutes.

Forward Mujtaba also converted two penalty corners in the 28th and and 52nd minutes as the hapless Nepalese scurried for cover.

Belsajar Horo (10th), Innocent Kulu (31th from PC), Roshan Minz (40th) and Dharamvir Singh (69th) completed the scoreline.

In another round-robin match, hosts Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka 3-1 in a tight contest. Both teams were locked 1-1 at half-time, but the hosts went ahead after the changeover.

Five teams -- the other being Pakistan -- vie for the top three spots in the hockey tournament. There is no women's hockey competition in the event.

The top two teams will feature in the summit clash, while the third and fourth placed teams will compete in a bronze medal play-off.

The Times of India

India rout Nepal in SA Games

India team routed an inexperienced Nepal 21-0 in their opening match of the South Asian Games at the Moulana Bhashani Staidum.

Led by Ajitesh, the Indians ruled the roost from the beginning and never allowed Nepal any chance of ball possession.

India drew first blood in the 13 seconds of the match and went on to score 10 goals in the first 35 minutes giving their goalkeeper Chander Singh Thalal a torrid time under the bar.

Down 0-10 in the first-half, it was a Himalayan task for the Nepalese to come back as Indians added 11 more after the break to complete the rout.

Roshan of India was adjudged Man of the Match.

Canadians defeat Chile in Game 4 to tie Series

Canada (2) - Chile (1)

Coming out with the mentality of "playing to win", the Canadians were able to tie up the Chile series of four games with a 2-1 victory. Only two minutes into the game and the Canadians were able to work their way into the Chilean circle with a close opportunity. Following the quick break, the Canadians sat back a little bit allowing the Chileans to earn and capitalize on a penalty corner in the 15th minute. The ball was sent in with a low sweep that was deflected in at the far post. Regrouping, the Canadians were able to pounce on a scramble on the left side of the field with a nice passing play between Tyla Flexman (BC), Robyn Pendleton (BC) and Kate Gillis (ON), who released a final pass from the right side of the circle. Thea Culley (BC) was able to one time the ball past the Chilean goalkeeper, earning her second goal of the series in back to back games.

Entering the second half having come back from being down a goal, the Canadians were pumped up to come out fighting. The team was able to generate some good right side attack throughout the second half but a 15 minute window of pressure from the Chileans saw the Canadians defending three penalty corners. In the 64th minute, the Canadians earned there chance for a go ahead goal on a penalty corner and made no mistakes. The ball was laid off square to Diana Roemer (BC) who sent a low drag towards net that was deflected up by Robyn Pendleton (BC) and put in the back of the net with some great individual effort by Anna Kozniuk (BC). With the 2-1 score on the line, the Canadians did well to hold their composure, retain possession and ultimately come back from being down in the series with back to back wins.

Head coach Louis Mendonca was pleased to comment after the game stating, "back to back games are always tough both mentally and physically but tonight the team fought through it and came out with the result. This is very important for the team's development if we are to be consistent at this level." The team will take the day off tomorrow to rest and recover before flying out on Sunday to Buenos Aires, Argentina where they will be looking to improve on what they have accomplished in Santiago.

Starting Line-up:

Azelia Liu, Abigal Raye, Sam Smith, Stephanie Jameson, Ali Lee, Anna Kozniuk, Tyla Flexman, Katie Baker, Kate Gillis, Stephanie Nesbitt, Robyn Pendleton


Katie Collison, Diana Roemer, Michelle Weber, Krissy Wishart, Thea Culley

Did not play:

Amanda Stone

Game Summary:

2 min CAN FP - shot wide
15 min CHILE PC - low sweep, deflection far post GOAL (1-0)
25 min CHILE PC - no shot
31 min CAN FP - self start Tyla to Robyn to Gillis to Thea GOAL (1-1)
34 min CHILE FP - shot and saved by Azelia Liu
50 min CHILE FP - saved by Azelia Liu
55 min - CHILE PC - Canadian foul
56 min - CHILE PC - Saved by Azelia Liu
64 min - CAN PC - Lay of left, low drag, deflected by Pendleton, GOAL by Kozniuk (2-1)

Field Hockey Canada media release

Australia defeat Korea 3-2 in second hockey Test

Australia have come from behind twice to emerge 3-2 winners against Korea in the second game of the three-Test series in Hobart.

Determined to make amends for their 5-1 defeat in game one, the tourists took an early lead after converting a penalty corner attempt only four minutes in.

Despite trailing the Kookaburras remained focused in defence with Matthew Swann and Chris Ciriello setting up the majority of the Kookaburras play from their back half.

In what was a fairly even opening 15 minutes the Kookaburras controlled their fair share of the ball, however were unable to penetrate the circle with any real precision.

As the game wore on the Kookaburras begun to look more dangerous around goal with veteran Grant Schubert setting up teammate Glenn Turner in the circle who produced a diving deflection to equal the score.

The celebrations were only short lived, with a long pass into the Korean circle beating the Kookaburra defenders and drawing goalkeeper George Bazeley, giving Sung Hoon Yoon an open net and Korea the lead once again.

The Kookaburras emerged more focused in the second half with results coming immediately thanks to a field goal to Russell Ford.

Continuing to apply the pressure, the Kookaburras produced several more close calls around goal but were unable to convert.

Rob Hammond was a stand out for the home team throughout the midfield, as was Glenn Turner who was a focal point for the Kookaburras in the circle, working the ball to Simon Orchard who gave the Kookaburras their first lead of the match at the 57-minute mark to claim the victory.

Fox Sports

Hockey contingent leaves for Delhi

Tushar Dutt

Pune: To start their campaign for the FIH World Cup, the Indian contingent left for New Delhi from Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi on Saturday.

The players, who were attending the camp here in Pune, will now resume practice at Major Dhyan Chand Stadium in New Delhi, where they will play warm-up matches with Petroleum Board teams, along with the matches against Argentina and Holland.

Before leaving, chief coach Jose Brasa said he and his boys would do their best in the mega event. “We have got good players and we will try to do our best in the tournament,” he said.

When asked about the warm-up games, Brasa said he would have liked to have some more matches with more teams, but now they will play with the available teams. “It would have been good if we had other teams also for the warm-up matches, but we will have to play with what we have. I have managed to get Holland and Argentina, while our goalkeeping coach Romeo James has arranged some matches with the petroleum teams,” said Brasa.

Talking about the present Hockey India body, Brasa said, “This is perhaps the only body, which is going through such a tough time, managing to host the World Cup and at the same time conducting their elections.”

India will take Pakistan in the World Cup opener on February 28.


India can finish as high as fifth in hockey World Cup: Brasa

PUNE: As the Indian hockey team shifts base from Pune to New Delhi ahead of the World Cup, chief coach Jose Brasa expressed confidence on Saturday saying "India can finish as high as fifth" in the tournament.

Pitted against arch rivals Pakistan in the first league match in Group B, the Spaniard said his players have the fighting spirit and will go all out to win this encounter considering the emotions attached with it.

"There is lot of sincerity and unity in the national team after the crisis was diffused," said Brasa. Speaking to reporters before leaving for Delhi, Brasa said that the crisis in Hockey India (HI) had turned the team into "children without parents".

The selection of the team for the World Cup is yet to be made.

Brasa pointed out three major issues in front of HI: 1. Holding of elections, 2. Hosting of the World Cup and 3. Looking after the national team. He said that despite these problems HI officials and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) have ensured international exposure for the team as well as training facilities at the Balewadi complex.

The team will be based at the renovated National Stadium in Delhi and will practise with the Combined Petroleum team in the run-up to the World Cup. Practise matches have also been planned against the Netherlands and Argentina on February 23 and 25 respectively.

Brasa rued the unavailability of certain training equipment. "Our requirements were not fulfilled entirely but we managed and did not give up training. The boys are mentally and physically fit to play in the World Cup," he added. "Had the equipment reached us in time the team would have been perfectly fit," he said.

Meanwhile, forward SV Sunil, who had hurt his right knee, has been rushed to Mumbai to consult orthopaedic surgeon Dr Anant Joshi. Brasa said, "The player got injured during practice two weeks ago. I am waiting for the MRI scan report."

The doctors have advised Sunil a few weeks rest. He may miss the World Cup, said Brasa. Sunil also missed the Argentina tour due to a thumb injury.

The Times of India

London police to verify WC security

A special squad of the London Police will arrive in Delhi next week to check the security preparedness for the World Cup.

During its visit beginning February 10, the team will visit the hockey stadia, interact with the organisers, Delhi Police and Home Ministry officials.

The foreign security experts will be briefed about the steps being taken to have foolproof security of the players and officers of the participating foreign teams.

They will also be taken to the places where the players will be lodged and practice venues during their three-day visit.

The Hockey World Cup will see participation by 10 countries and around 400 players and delegates. It will be held in the national capital between February 28 and March 13.

Pressure will be on India: Pakistan's hockey captain

KARACHI: Pakistan's hockey captain Zeeshan Ashraf believes that the team's recent record against India makes them favourites to win their opening match of the World Cup on February 28 in New Delhi.

Zeeshan, a seasoned defender, said his boys were itching to take the field against India.

"We have beaten India in our last three clashes in the recent past and this record will put extra pressure on them," Pakistan skipper said.

Zeeshan's comments were echoed by Rehan Butt, one of Pakistan's most experienced strikers who has a knack of scoring goals against India.

Butt said Pakistan will use its match against India as a launching pad to take on higher-ranked teams like Australia.

"It's good to have this match early because it can help us get into rhythm before we play other tougher teams," Butt said on Saturday.

"Our recent performances have been good too," said the prolific striker.

Pakistan made the cut for the World Cup by winning a qualifying tournament in France in November. But there is still a question mark over their participation in the New Delhi event as the Pakistani government is yet to clear the team to play in the 12-team competition.

There have been calls from various quarters for a boycott of the event after the Indian Premier League (IPL) ignored Pakistani cricketers for its third season to be held March-April.

The Times of India

Leicester and Slough through to the Women's Indoor final

Women’s NIHC Semi Final 1

Two moments of Leicester genius lit up an otherwise tame first women’s semi final against Canterbury at the National Indoor Hockey Championships in Nottingham on Sunday evening.

The East Midlands side had to come from behind as they attempt to win their first Indoor Championships title since 1978.

There was an edgy feel to the game with neither side willing to concede ground to the other, the result being that both sides cancelled each other out in the early stages.  Leicester appeared content to allow Canterbury possession in their own half without any real Canterbury penetration.

Canterbury won a penalty corner with six minutes on the clock but Leicester’s England U21 goalkeeper Maddie Hinch made a good sliding save.  There followed an identical opportunity that Hinch again kept out.  Leicester then found themselves inside the Canterbury circle, drawing Scotland and Great Britain goalkeeper Abi Walker out but were unable to capitalise as Canterbury’s defence recovered to clear the danger.

Canterbury’s Lucy Barnes broke the deadlock to put the Kent side ahead in the eighth minute, slotting the ball home inside the near post.

Kerry Williams had half a chance to equalise shortly afterwards but found herself in a heap on the floor after a collision with Walker and the opportunity was lost.   Three minutes after going behind Leicester, resplendent in their bright orange kit, were level after a superb piece of individual skill from their England and Great Britain international Rebecca Herbert.  After skilfully eluding the tackles of two Canterbury players she advanced with pace on Walker’s goal before clinically lifting it high into the net to make the score one apiece.

After the goals, play reverted to its earlier pattern of possession and counter possession.  Jen Wilson intercepted well for Canterbury but failed to find the final touch after taking the ball around the onrushing Hinch.

Williams and Lucy Brown both took advantage of slack Canterbury play but, like Wilson, failed to make their opponents pay as the match came to the break.

There was a similar opening to the second period with Lucy Brown enjoying the first chance of the half before Leicester pounced to take the lead in the 26th minute through another piece of excellent individual skill, this time from Chloe Rogers.  Breaking through the top of the circle, Rogers dummied her pass across the goal before side stepping to slot the ball home low inside Walker’s right post to give Leicester the lead.

Both teams traded penalty corners around the half hour mark with neither side able to score that critical next goal.  The goal had helped Leicester gain more of a foothold in the match although Canterbury’s Natalie Seymour was unlucky to see her effort cleared after forcing the ball through the legs of the diving Hinch.

On the break Leicester won a penalty corner which brought out a brave block with her chest by Walker from Rogers’ point blank flick and Rogers looked certain to guarantee her team’s progress shortly after when the ball broke to her with the goal gaping.  On the angle her shot was well blocked by the stick of the recovering Mel Clewlow and Canterbury retained hope of a place in the final.

That was not to be though as Rogers added a third Leicester goal from an acute angle with just over 60 seconds remaining to put Leicester into Sunday’s final.

Canterbury 1 (1)

Lucy Barnes 8 (F)           

Leicester 3 (1)

Rebecca Herbert 11 (F)              
Chloe Rogers 26,39 (F,F)

Women’s NIHC Semi Final 2

Saturday’s second women’s semi final at the National Indoor Hockey Championships in Nottingham brought together two teams that met in last year’s final and proved to be a hard fought battle between two great teams.

Bowdon Hightown began the match well with an early shot from Nicky O’Donnell down the centre of the goal easily saved by the Slough’s England and Great Britain goalkeeper Becky Duggan.  Slough came back with a penalty corner; Ashleigh Ball pushed the ball to former international star Jane Smith whose shot was charged down well.  Despite both teams enjoying early passages of play and possession neither really threatened the other.

Bowdon Hightown opened the scoring in the sixth minute through their taliswoman Tina Cullen, who received a pass across the circle and put the ball past Duggan, pushing it across the goal to score into the bottom left hand corner.

Slough responded with a fast and furious series of penalty corners but the Cheshire defence stood strong.  When Slough did level things it came on the counter after a Bowdon Hightown set piece was well saved by Duggan.  Breaking down the right side of the pitch, Alex Scott pulled back inside before slotting it past the Kirsty Mackay in the Bowdon Hightown goal.

The goal had come just two minutes before the break, welcome relief for Slough as the half time whistle went.

Slough came out for the second half the brighter of the two sides.  Two early penalty corners kept the pressure on Bowdon Hightown’s England and GB goalkeeper Mackay, who made a series of excellent saves, a tip over the bar the best of the bunch.  Slough’s efforts paid off when a move down the right hand side allowed Smith the space to ease Slough in front, 2-1.

The 2009 Champions were not down and out though and Cullen was not going home without a fight. Three minutes after falling behind, they were level.  A ball across the Slough circle fell straight into the path of Cullen who scored the equaliser with still a full 11 minutes remaining.

The goal put Bowdon Hightown on the front foot and they continued to bear down on the Slough goal with three penalty corners in the final five minutes of the match.  Despite the high intensity pressure the Slough defence battled well time and again to maintain the deadlock and send the match into a nail biting semi final shoot out.

Slough scorer Alex Scott stepped up first and netted to the delight of the crowd. Bowdon Hightown’s Tina Cullen missed their first stroke but when Chloe Strong and Fiona Greenham both missed for Slough and Michelle Liptrot netted after Sam Quek had missed it went to sudden death.

The order of strokes was reversed but both Scott and Liptrot scored and it remained level.  A series of superb goalkeeping saves and missed efforts kept the crowd on tenterhooks before Chloe Strong put Slough into the final against Leicester on Sunday afternoon.

The women’s final takes place at 16:10 on Sunday afternoon and can be seen live on Sky Sports 3.

Slough 2 (1)

Alex Scott 18 (F)           
Jane Smith 26 (F)           

Bowdon Hightown 2 (1)

Tina Cullen 6,29 (F,F)                 

Slough won 3-2 after penalty stroke competition.

England Hockey Board Media release

England Hockey Schools Indoor finals decided

U16 Boys Schools Final

An action-packed final started off the National Indoor Hockey Championships (NIHC) weekend in Nottingham and saw Whitgift lift the U16 boys’ schools trophy, making it two national indoor titles in a row.

The game began evenly with both sides exerting pressure early on.  It was after a time-out mid way through the opening spell that Whitgift started to take the command.  First to score was Harrison Sellers with great build-up by Oliver Preston and Rob Farrington.  Jonty Griffiths, who was a member of the side that won last year’s U16 boys final, was next up to put the ball in the goal. In response, Wycombe continued putting pressure on Whitgift but were without luck as a number of goal bound efforts were well defended.

Midway through the half Whitgift experienced something of goal scoring spurt with five goals in as many minutes.    Griffiths found the net again before Luke Taylor’s speed up the left side opened the space for a pass to Rob Farrington whose shot went straight in. Rounding off Whitgift’s first half scoring, Harrison Sellers scored his second goal putting the team in white well in command.

Royal Grammar School High Wycombe finally got the credit their hard work deserved with two minutes until the break when Marcus Wilson passed to James Wrighton who scored an excellent goal before scoring again two minutes later.  Sandwiched between Wrighton’s double, Josh Mardell netted a corner to bring the Wycombe side to within two goals of Whitgift; 3-5 at the break.

Whitgift began the second half with high intensity.  Harrison Sellers completed his hat-trick after a well executed three on one attack a minute into the second half.   Wycombe goalkeeper, Peter Ellis Phillips, who played very skilfully, was constantly under pressure and when Jonty Griffiths showed off his skills by dribbling through the Wycombe defence Phillips could do nothing about the Whitgift boy scoring his team’s seventh.

Excellent teamwork was consistently on show between Rob Farrington and Harrison Sellers and it paid off in the build-up to Sellers’ fourth goal.  Wycombe had clever breaks towards the end but the Whitgift defence stood solid and the game finished with Whitgift winning a well deserved victory of 8-3.

Both teams gave the Nottingham audience a entertaining and energy filled game to kick off a great weekend of hockey at the Trent FM Arena Nottingham.

Royal Grammar School High Wycombe 3 (3)

James Wrightson 13,15 (F,F)                    
Josh Mardell 15 (PC)                  

Whitgift School 8 (5)

Harrison Sellers 7,11,16,25 (F,F,F,F)                      
Jonty Griffiths 8,9,19 (F,F,F)                     
Rob Farrington 10 (F)

U16 Girls Schools Final

The girls’ U16 schools final between Millais School and Wakefield Girls High School perfectly demonstrated the wealth of talent on show at the National Indoor Hockey Championships in Nottingham this weekend.  A hard fought match with both teams giving it everything they had, proved to be an enthralling display of hockey with Millais coming out on top, 8-5 the final score.

The match began with good early attacking pressure from Millais.  Jess Dean, the captain instrumental in the early pressure, crossed the ball to find Lucy Wood who knocked the ball into the back of the net with ease.  Wakefield battled back and produced some good passing movements, leading to a penalty corner being given; unfortunately their early pressure came to nothing.

Millais went on to win a penalty corner after some more quick exchanges of play and good movement to confuse the opposition.  The penalty corner was taken by Izzy Wood who pushed it to Dean, who made no mistake in putting her team two nil in the lead.  A great individual effort shortly after with some great stick work to take it around several players saw Lucy Wood score her second.  Millais continued to put Wakefield under the cosh and were relentless in their attack, capitalising on a good passing movement and a tap in at the far post by Rebecca Heslop.

With Wakefield unable to see a way forward and four nil down, the incentive was there for Millais to go on and put themselves further in the lead, but Wakefield battling hard won a penalty corner; the ball played across the circle and then back inside to find Laura Grundy, who hammered a shot into the net.

Not content with their 4-1 lead Millais applied their skill and team efforts, with a good advantage decision giving Lucy Wood the opportunity to score for Millais with less than a minute to be played of the first half.  And there was still time for Dean to score to make it 6 -1 at half time.

There was a change of goalkeeper for Millais at the beginning of the second half and a change in the play led to Wakefield having greater possession of the ball.  Frustratingly the Yorkshire side was unable to make it count, putting the ball wide of the goal and making the replacement goalkeeper Georgia Frett work hard.

At the other end, with six minutes of the half played, Lucy Wood picked up the ball on the outside of the circle and with another fantastic individual effort scored to make it 7-1 to Millais.

But Wakefield had not given up hope to turn this final around and good perseverance from Mollie Rawnsley allowed her teammate Lucy Morgan to capitalise on a defensive error to make it 7-2. Millais rallied again with a reverse push from Amelia Frett restoring their six goal lead.

Wakefield though were not about to give up and brought the match to an exciting climax with three goals in two minutes.  Morgan led the charge for Wakefield, scoring the third in the 27th minute and completing her hat-trick less than a minute later to make it 8-4.  With two minutes remaining it was Morgan again who scored her side’s fifth goal, a valiant fight back at the end of a mesmerising match. 

Despite the late onslaught Millais held on to win the match 8-5 to become the first ever winners of the new look U16 Girls Schools National Indoor Hockey Championships title.

Millais School 8 (6)

Lucy Wood 1,5,15,14 (F,F,F,F)                 
Jess Dean 4,15 (F,F)                   
Rebecca Heslop 6 (F)                 
Amelia Frett 25 (F)                     

Wakefield Girls High School 5 (1)

Lauren Grundy 12 (PC)              
Daisy Morgan 24,27,28,28 (F,F,F,F)

U18 Boys Schools Final

Heated and emotional were the keywords for the U18 Boys Schools final this first day of the National Indoor Hockey Championships (NIHC) in Nottingham.  In the past three years both these schools had won the NIHC so there was nothing less to be expected.

Ipswich had the first chance to open the scoring, with Josh Fry using the boards effectively to open up The Perse School, however they failed to make it count.  Both teams displayed some excellent attacking sequences but it was Perse who got the first reward, winning an early penalty corner that lead to a penalty stroke after hitting an Ipswich foot on the goal line.  Up stepped Michael Franklin, an England U18 international, to score with a shot low to the keeper’s right.

Perse continued to pressure the team in navy blue and had several penalty corners but to no avail.  Their captain, Duncan Graves, played skilfully and was unlucky not to score.  A switch in play led Ipswich’s Harry Martin to pass the ball to Charlie Hardman for an equaliser in the 11th minute.  Ipswich passed up the opportunity to take a lead into the break when they failed with a penalty corner late in the half and it was all square as the teams left the field at half time.

Early in the second half Perse were awarded a penalty corner but good goalkeeping from Ashwin Raj kept the score level.   Ipswich had two more penalty corners of their own but the Perse defence stood solid.  Perse built on this and from a penalty corner at the other end Franklin scored his and his team’s second.  A minute later, after yet another penalty corner, Hugo Christie made it 1-3 to The Perse School.

Seeking a way back into the match Ipswich continued to attack.  When Andrew Meredith in the Perse goal was beaten it was a well placed Franklin who cleared on the goal line.  The scare reinvigorated The Perse School who returned pressure, causing confusion in the Ipswich defence but failing to make it count.  A missed penalty stroke by The Perse School’s Ben Creese looked as if it might be critical when  great teamwork from Ipswich’s Martin and Hardman created the space for Josh Godfrey to score, making the score 3-2 with three minutes remaining.

A nerve-racking last couple of minutes followed, with both teams fighting for victory.  Ipswich applied extreme pressure on Perse as they attempted to bring the tie level but with the crowd counting the clock down The Perse School held out for the narrowest of victories after an intense final.  3-2 the final score.

Ipswich School 2 (1)

Charlie Hardman 11 (F)              
Josh Godfrey 27 (F)                    

The Perse School 3 (2)

Michael Franklin 3,20 (PS,PC)                  
Hugo Christie 21 (PC)    

U18 Girls Schools Final

The Girls U18 School Final, between Kingston Grammar and Repton, promised to be a tight match up.  With Kingston having won the national indoor title in 2007-08 and Repton having an array of National Age Group Squad international players, this could have gone either way.

Repton opened with the early pressure and led the attack, producing the first of three penalty corners but were unable to convert the first two.  They scored the third though with a tap in at the post by Jo Leigh taking an early lead.  Two minutes later Ellie Green put Repton two up and in relative control.

It was Kingston’s turn to respond and with three excellent attacking plays they were unlucky not to make their efforts count, until Molly Hanson–Akins popped up to score Kingston’s first of the game on seven minutes.  Kingston continued to put pressure on Repton but Hanson- Akins was thwarted in a one-on-one Repton went into the break 2-1 ahead.

Kingston came out of the blocks raring to go and had all of the early pressure with several shots on goal and a penalty corner, all of which Repton repelled.  Had Kingston made their pressure count the result of the game could have been very different but Repton retaliated.

In the 20th minute, Repton were awarded with a penalty stroke which Sophie Hawkins converted low into the corner of the goal.  Although the Issy Rice in goal had guessed correctly she could do nothing to keep Hawkins from extending Repton’s lead to two goals.

Two minutes later, a Kingston penalty corner led to a scramble in the Repton defence and with the defence unable to clear the ball Hanson–Akins poked it into the net to make the score 3-2.

By now the match was being played at a frenetic pace from end to end and Repton hit back with an instant reply from captain Ellie Green followed up by a Shona McCallin goal for 5-2.

A second penalty stroke of the match was awarded, this time to Kingston after a deliberate foot inside the circle and Katie Shanahan scored, slipping the ball to the right of the keeper.  It was not enough though as Repton scored another two goals in quick succession through Rebecka Siebert and Leigh, her second of the match.  More pressure from Repton led to a great double save by Kingston’s goalkeeper Rice who was unfortunate that the ball only found its way straight to Repton girl Wiz Mumby to make it eight.

Kingston had one more goal in them, scored by Shanahan, leaving the final score at 8- 4 at the conclusion of a great final and great advert for indoor hockey;  a game filled with goals, excitement and skill.

Kingston Grammar School 4 (1)

Molly Hanson-Akins 7,22 (F,PC)               
Katie Shanahan 24,27 (PS,PC)                 

Repton School 8 (2)

Jo Leigh 3,25 (F,F)                      
Ellie Green 5,23 (F,F)                 
Sophie Hawkins 20 (PS)              
Shona McCallin 23 (F)                
Rebecka Siebert 24 (F)                
Wiz Mumby 26 (F)

England Hockey Board Media release

Menzieshill just edge it

In a cut-throat day at Perth Menzieshill emerged with a slender lead at the top of the Subway indoor national league, but Inverleith and Western Wildcats are both only a point behind.

The Taysiders were 30 seconds away from defeat at the hands of the Wildcats in the final match but a penalty corner strike by Ross McPherson saved the day for the champions.

A double from Joe Simpson put the Wildcats into a two goal half time lead but Gavin Tomlinson restored the balance with a looping shot from the far side of the circle and then a conversion from the spot.  Douglas Simpson and Kenny Stibbles then exchanged goals, but a long ball out of defence found Steven Percy who gave the Wildcats the lead with a shot into the roof of the net, but the late equaliser spoiled the celebrations.

A second half hat-trick by striker Chris Wilson was the catalyst in Menzieshill`s 6-2 victory over city rivals Dundee Wanderers, but there was no hint of an easy victory as the Tayside rivals were locked at 2-2 at the interval.  Euan Borland and a brilliant solo goal from Allan Law scored for Wanderers while veteran Kenny Stibbles and a penalty corner shot from a narrow angle by Andrew Thornton levelled the account.

Three goals in four minutes from Ross McPherson and Wilson (2) knocked the stuffing out of Wanderers at the start of the second half and Menzieshill were on the road to victory.   Wilson added his third and Wanderers` playmaker Allan Law walked off the pitch in the huff over some umpiring decisions to seal Wanderers` fate.

Inverleith stuck to their task, Western Wildcats lost some of their composure, consequently it was the Edinburgh outfit that emerged 7-4 winners.

Within four minutes Callum Milne and then Adam MacKenzie from the spot had given Inverleith a useful two goal advantage.  Scott McCartney pulled one back for the Wildcats but Stephen Dick converted a penalty corner and then laid on another for Derek Salmond to give Inverleith a 4-1 advantage.

Just on the interval Douglas Simpson scored from a set piece and brother Joe added another from another fine solo effort, but in the meantime MacKenzie scored his own second to preserve the advantage for Inverleith.  John Harris made it 6-3 and that set off Chris Grassick and Vishal Marwaha`s departure to the sin bin.

In a final flurry, Douglas Simpson and Salmond exchanged goals at the death, but by then Inverleith were well on their way to the three points.

But Inverleith took their eye off the ball when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Wanderers in their second outing.  The Inverleith cause was not helped by the fact that Stephen Dick, Chris Grassick and John Harris were all  in the sin bin at one time or another during this tense contest.

Despite early Inverleith pressure, it was Benny Gibson who gave the Taysiders the advantage with a volley into the roof of the net from a set piece.  The ever-reliable MacKenzie equalised five minutes into the second half and the game remained on a knife-edge until the final whistle, but no further goals.

Neither WebEnergy Hillhead nor Harris made much headway to avoid the drop in their opening games, the former lost 10-7 to Grange while the Taysiders were thumped 15-0 by Glynhill Kelburne, there was a double hat-trick for Willie Marshall while teenager Josh Cairns picked up another five.

But the Glasgow side took a giant leap to safety when they whipped Harris 10-0 in the head to head later in the day.  The foundation of the victory was four goals from striker Graham Campbell and a hat-trick for Alan Meikle, and Hillhead now have a crucial three point lead at the foot of the table.

Grange slipped to the top of the lower pool with a 6-3 victory over Kelburne, the goals came from six different players.

Scottish Hockey Union media release

Maybank aim to break young hearts

By Jugjet Singh

MAYBANK have a proud history in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL), and today they will be attempting to reach the semi-finals by breaking young hearts in the second leg of the quarter-finals at the Tun Razak Stadium.

The first leg saw an explosive match where the lead kept changing hands until both teams ran out of time and settled for a 3-3 draw.

Today will see both squaring off for a third consecutive time, with the league match in Malacca ending in a 4-4 stalemate.

"We have experience, while they have young legs, but I believe my players will break some young hearts at the final whistle tomorrow (today)," said Maybank coach S. Velappan.

This is no empty talk from a team who have been playing in the MHL since its inception in 1987. And this season, Maybank can claim to have held league champions Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club 1-1.

However, there is a chink which may be to the advantage of UniKL-IBIL -- Maybank defender K. Gobinathan pulled a hamstring muscle last weekend, and is out.

"We did miss the presence of Gobi at the backline in the first leg and two mistakes led to two goals which turned the tempo of the match.

"Gobi will not play the return leg tomorrow (today) and we will have to do some reshuffling to strengthen the back-line," said Velappan.

UniKL-IBIL finished at the bottom of the six-team league, and according to their coach I. Vickneswaran, his boys have peaked at the right moment.

"Both the draws against Maybank have boosted our team morale, and I believe my players will not give up easily as a semi-final berth is waiting for them," said Vickneswaran.

The team will again rely on Noor Faeez in the penalty corners, while a solid display from Faiz Helmi will surely earn him the distinction of being a marked man in the return leg.

The other quarter-finals are more or less decided with only Tenaga Nasional having to tread carefully as they only have a two-goal cushion against Division One champions UiTM.

New Straits Times

Maybank held by tireless UniKL-Ibil

UNIKL-IBIL wore down Maybank with their blistering pace before snatching a 3-3 draw in the first leg quarter-final of the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) Premier Division at Tun Razak Stadium yesterday.

The youthful side, with an average age of 22, held a 2-1 lead for 20 minutes, before almost collapsing due to lack of experience, but did just enough to stay alive for the return leg.

Maybank took the lead through Azzami Adabi in the 16th minute, but after the breather, UniKL scored two goals via Khairil Anuar in the 37th and Noor Faeez Ibrahim in the 43rd minute.

Maybank banked on their experience to draw level through Hafifi Hafiz (63rd) and Azzami (65th), but could not hold onto the lead as UniKL upped the tempo again and Noor Faez nailed the third goal in the 67th minute.

Maybank missed defender K. Gobinahan who was left warming the bench after he pulled a hamstring and will not be available for the return leg.

At the KLHA Stadium, League champions Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club hammered ATM-Airod 10-2 to confirm their semi-finals ticket. KLHC were in total command, and the second leg tomorrow will be purely academic for them.

Razie Rahim started the goal-count in the ninth minute, and then scored his brace in the 24th minute.

The other goals came off Chua Boon Huat (27th, 31st, 45th), Ismail Abu (28th, 45th), Harvinder Singh (52nd) and Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin (64th, 66th).

At the Tun Razak Stadium, Sapura beat Nur Insafi 4-1 to virtually confirm their semi-finals slot.

Sapura and KLHC will clash in the semi-final, unless their rivals pull off a miracle in the return leg.

Sapura took a 4-0 lead with goals from Jiwa Mohan (fifth), Rodhanizam Radzi (14th), Marhan Jalil (42nd) and Kazamirul Nasruddin (48th) before Sundeep Michael pulled one back for Nur Insafi in the 60th minute.

"Yes, I will be fielding my reserves for the return leg to avoid injuries and cards.

"However, I would like to congratulate ATM-Airod for playing good hockey for the first 20 minutes.

"They were even 1-1 with us after 12 minutes of play, but crumbled because they lacked experience," said KLHC coach R. Vivekanandan.

The most exciting match of the day was between youngsters UniKL-IBIL and Maybank, who also played to a 4-4 draw in the last encounter in Malacca.

"The feeling is simply great because my boys managed to hold an experienced team like Maybank to a draw twice in a row.

“The second draw was even sweeter for me, because my players did not crack under pressure, and we live to fight on," said UniKL-IBIL coach I. Vickneswaran.

RESULTS: Q-finals, first leg: KLHC 10 ATM-Airod 2, Nur Insafi 1 Sapura 4, Maybank 3 UniKL-IBIL 3, UiTM 0 Tenaga 2.
SUNDAY : Tenaga v UiTM (4.30pm, KLHA Stadium).
UniKL-IBIL vs Maybank (4.30pm), Sapura vs Nur Insafi (6.30pm), ATM-Airod vs KLHC (8.30pm).
*Matches at Tun Razak Stadium.

Jugjet's World of Field Hockey

UniKL-IBIL give Maybank the shivers


Much at stick: KLHC’s Kelvinder Singh (left) tussling for the ball with ATM’s Mohd Shahrul Amran during their MHL quarter-final first-leg match on Friday. — GLENN GUAN / The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Debutants UniKL-IBIL are on fire and will go all out to turn the tables on former champions Maybank in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) quarter-final second-leg match at the Tun Razak Stadium here today.

The university side, who do not have the services of any national player and finished last in the six-team Premier Division, played exceptionally well to hold the Tigers to a 3-3 draw in the first-leg match on Friday.

UniKL coach I. Vickneswaran praised his players for their excellent performance against the more experienced and fancied Maybank team.

“We are the underdogs and we did not have any previous experience playing in the quarter-finals. But to my surprise, my boys played better against Maybank, who have national and former internationals in their ranks,” he said.

“There is no pressure on us in the return match and we will go all out to stun them.”

However, Vickneswaran said that they can expect a very physical game from the Tigers.

“They played an aggressive game in the first leg and got away without getting a card. I hope the umpires will be stricter on them if they take the physical approach again,” he said.

“We scored three penalty corner goals against them and will again rely on Mohd Faeez Ibrahim (who made two conversions in the first-leg match).”

But UniKL will be without defender Mohd Razali (Zulkipli), who collected his second yellow card in the match on Friday.

Maybank coach S. Velappan, meanwhile, was furious with his players over the defensive errors in the first-leg match.

“My defenders made a number of mistakes in the D and gave away three penalty corners.

“They also failed to stop UniKL from making the conversions. It was the worst performance from Maybank this season and we were lucky to escape with a draw,” he said.

The defenders in the Maybank side are Azrul Effendy Bistamam, Engku Abdul Malek Engku Mohamed, Mohd Fariq Saadon, Hairul Nizam Rani and K. Gobinathan.

Velappan added that he had warned his players to buck up and go all out to win the return match.

“In 2008, we finished overall third and we want to at least maintain the position this time,” he said.

If Maybank advance to the semi-finals, they will take on the winners of the quarter-final tie against Tenaga Nasional and UITM.

The Star of Malaysia

Marriage helps Jiwa rediscover his goal-scoring touch

KUALA LUMPUR: Former international Jiwa Mohan is scoring again after getting married.

The forward ended his goal drought by scoring the first goal for Sapura in a 4-1 win over Nur Insafi in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) quarter-final first-leg match at the Tun Razak Stadium here on Friday.

In the 2008 season, Jiwa scored 12 goals for Sapura in the league. But he fired blanks in nine of the 10 MHL Premier division matches he played in this season. He skipped the last league fixture against Nur Insafi on Jan 23 to get married to Tarveen Kaur from Kuala Lumpur.

The 29-year-old Penangite, who is based in Perth, said that he was relieved to get on the scoresheet again.

“Getting married turned out to be a good luck charm for me. Tarveen’s presence at the stadium to watch me play against Nur Insafi inspired me to give my best in the match. I met her a few years ago and she is now doing her PhD in sports psychology in Perth,” he said.

Jiwa is a mechanical engineer in Perth and travels every week to play in the MHL.

He is glad to note that Sapura are now playing well in the MHL.

“We struggled in the league but after playing 10 matches, the players have clicked and we are creating more chances. Although we have a three-goal cushion against Nur Insafi, we cannot take them lightly in the return match (today),” said Jiwa.

He added that the Penang-based side, who hired 15 foreign players for their campaign in the MHL, certainly had the ability to turn the tables on Sapura as they had shown in a 4-1 victory in the second round league match in Malacca on Jan 23.

“We were the league and overall competition runners-up for the 2008 season. But this season, we finished fourth in the six-team league.

“If we reach the semi-finals, we will be facing a daunting task against KLHC (Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club), who are the league champions and overwhelming favourites for the overall title,” said Jiwa.

KLHC hammered Armed Forces-Airod 10-2 in their quarter-final first-leg match.

The Star of Malaysia

Padamshree Award: Ignace Tirkey's rare feat

K. Arumugam

Talented midfielder Ignace Tirkey has recently been chosen for the prestigious civilian award, Padamshree.

He is the second hockey player from the gifted adivasi belt (eastern part of India) to get the acclaim, after his senior Dilip Tirkey got his own five years ago.

The twosome are from the state of Orissa, which has almost produced 15 internationals in the last decade alone.

The award surely recognizes the contribution of single area to the development of national sport, hockey. This is how one can sum up this.

Ignace got his Arjuna Award -- given for sporting excellence -- also in the same year. Thus, he becomes the only player in the Indian hockey horizon to make this feat -- of getting two coveted awards in the same year.

Further, Ignace hails from Services, which of late has not been contributing to hockey in any big way, at least not in sync with the great tradition the forces had established over six decades. Right from Dhyan Chand down to BK Subramani, it has produced unending number of stalwarts.

So, the rise of Ignace therefore is a good sign.

When Iganace got his Arjuna this year, he was the proud man, as, among other things, this award came to Services kitty after three decades. Winger Harcharan Singh was the last to have this distinction, though aged stars Haripal, Bhola and others got this in the late 90s, but there were not in their playing form and it was before Dhyan Chand awards were introduced.

Ignace is only the second player from the ranks of Services to get Padamshree after Shankar Laxman's feat in 1967. This meant it took nearly 33 years for another Services player to repeat the acclaim of Shankar Laxman.

Ignace has done that. Hope Services recognizes the rare feat of a simpleton who rose from the ranks of soldier.

So far only 18 hockey players out of at least a hundred legends who dot our land, could get the honour, Ignace is only the second from the ranks of Services.

This award should motivate not only the poor tribals of Orissa to go for more and more hockey, but also the Services, especially the Army, to play their rightful role in creating impact making players for the country. Regrettably, even since the concept of Army XI came, the various institutions that made up of Services have lost thier importance.

We no longer used to cherish the heroics of ASC or Signals nowadays, all lost in the misplaced concept the Services have adopted.

It is not time to dwell on this, but certainly after Ignace's rise, the organization has to intropsect and come forward with visible and deliverable results

The rare double feat of Igance is welcome in many ways - if that opens the Services, it will be all the more appreciable

In hockey’s cradle, Chak De spirit buried

CHANDIGARH: Shahbad near Kurukshetra in Haryana maybe known as the cradle of women’s hockey in the region but the players’ spirit is far from Chak De. Apart from giving little thought to making the players financially independent, the sports authorities in the state and at the centre have failed to facilitate proper medical aid or medical insurance for them.

And at a time when nine players from here are attending a camp in Hyderabad for the South Asian Federation Games, the medical treatment of the father of Sandeep Kaur — the girl with a golden stick — was undertaken with the help of probables at the camp. “Sandeep’s father’s treatment could start only when players at the camp chipped in with the required money,” coach Baldev Singh told TOI on phone. In another case, symptomatic of the state of affairs, a injured player was sent back to her state for treatment.

Though the hockey academy has given this non-descript town as well as the state an international identity, the Haryana government is yet to wake up to the employment needs of these girls. Coach Baldev Singh said, “Rs 100 is what the sports authority of Haryana has allocated for the diet of these players. Except for Indian Railways, neither the state nor any central agency has offered any job to them.”

Surender Kaur, who currently heads the women’s hockey team, Rani, the star scorer of Indian team, and Sandeep are among the nine players attending the national camp. Despite being the captain, Surender, the only player who has been able to make it to World XI, is yet to get a job in Haryana police. She is currently employed as LDC in the Railways.

The Times of India

One-State-one-unit stipulation is that of Govt.

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: There has been much confusion about who actually advised Hockey India to stick to the one-State-one-unit policy while granting affiliations to the State bodies.

The stipulation has been part of the Union Government guidelines for National Sports Federations (NSFs) for decades but it has been flouted by several federations, notably by the now-disaffiliated federations controlling men and women’s hockey, and the Board of Control for Cricket in India, over the years.

With elections to Hockey India having been announced, an impression has been created somehow that the International Hockey Federation (FIH) had laid down this criterion.

What the FIH did was to ask the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to ensure that a unified body, incorporating men and women’s hockey, to run the game was in place in the country.

The FIH rule says: “A National association of a country may be or remain affiliated to the FIH only if it governs hockey for both men and women in that country.”


The Government guidelines for NSFs, however, stipulate that there can only be one State association from a State/Union Territory.

In the communication sent by the Government to the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) granting recognition to HI, it had been made clear that the recognition was subject to the adherence of the new body to all conditions laid down in the Government guidelines issued on August 14, 2001.

(The guidelines, first issued in 1975, were amended from time to time, incorporating various new provisions.)

The stipulation about one State and one unit had been recorded in the minutes of several meetings HI had with the Sports Ministry officials in recent weeks.

Right to vote

Interestingly, the Government guidelines also stipulate that only State/Union Territory units shall have the right to vote in general body meetings.

The original HI rules adhered to this provision, but now a proposal has been made and included in the agenda for the now-postponed general body meeting to provide for one vote each to institutional boards.

Not just that, these units are also to be allowed to vote in the elections after the amendment to the constitution.

The guidelines stipulate that such boards could be admitted as associate members without voting rights in the general body meetings.

The Hindu

Govt can’t withdraw HI recognition says Batra

By Tushar Bhaduri in New Delhi

WITH the sports ministry raising serious doubts about the functioning of Hockey India and talking about withdrawing its conditional recognition, the national body hit back on Saturday claiming that the government had no right to take such a step.

The ministry is peeved about the spate of controversies dogging the national game in recent times and considering putting an interim body of “unquestionable legitimacy” in place till the elections but Hockey India says roadblocks have been deliberately put in its path.

“The sports ministry has no powers to constitute an interim body. They cannot interfere in the functioning of a federation,” Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra told M AIL T ODAY . “It’s only the Indian Olympic Association who has that right.” Batra, who has been at loggerheads with the sports ministry in recent times, said he won’t “succumb to such pressure tactics.” “The ministry is hand in glove with the JB Roy group but we will fight it out.

They want to push in their own people in the elected body and are threatening us at every opportunity,” Batra alleged.

“It is the typical bureaucratic mentality to keep all control in their own hands to show who is boss.

“The several court cases in different parts of the country are all their handiwork.

JB Roy has a loose pocket and is funding these activities,” he said, blaming his predecessor Mohammad Aslam Khan of engineering many of the cases filed against the election process in different states.

“He ( Aslam) himself wanted to get nomination. When he failed in that bid, he decided to portray himself as a martyr by resigning on the pretext of not being able to conduct elections within the requisite time- frame.” The elections have been postponed on three occasions after the affiliation process was called into question by various bodies.

The ministry has alluded to a “credibility gap” in Hockey India, terming it an “edifice that is showing too many cracks”, but the secretary general said there were observers appointed by the government as well as the International Hockey Federation ( FIH) overseeing the whole process.

“Zafar Iqbal, Ajit Pal Singh and government’s election observer SK Mendiratta are aware of all the steps taken by us.

What more transparency do they want?” Batra, in a recent outburst, had charged the sports ministry of acting like a part of the Punjab government. The comment prompted an angry response on the lines that Hockey India depended on the government for infrastructure, training facilities and funding for tours.

“This is not the sports ministry’s personal fund. It’s their duty to spend it for the development of sports. If they don’t, I will drag them to court,” Batra said.

Mail Today

Hockey India woes increase

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: In what could amount to a rebuff to Hockey India (HI), the Union Sports Ministry has turned down its request for financial assistance to meet the expenses for five-star hotel accommodation of the Indian team scheduled to participate in the World Cup tournament here from February 28.

Instead, the ministry has told HI that the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) may apply for such assistance since it (HI) had no ‘locus standi’ in the matter.

According to HI Secretary-General Narinder Batra, the ministry informed HI on Friday that it was the IOA that was entitled to seek financial support and he in turn explained to the ministry, in a reply sent the same day, that IOA’s right in seeking grant was in relation to the conduct of the tournament and not with regard to the expenditure for the Indian team.

The IOA is a partner with the International Hockey Federation (FIH) in the organisation of the World Cup.

No reply

Mr. Batra said there was no reply from the ministry till late Saturday evening and HI was being put to inconvenience in paying the advance for hotel accommodation.

Teams for the tournament are being accommodated in a five-star hotel and they are expected to bear their expenditure.

Mr. Batra had the other day accused the ministry of bias in matters related to HI elections and the latest response of the ministry may have set up the stage for non-cooperation with, if not de-recognition of, the hockey body.

The Hindu


Kanpur celebrate Feel Hockey on Babu's Day

K. Arumugam

On Monday and Tuesday, the city of Kanpur will be celebrating what is now designated 'FEEL HOCKEY ON BABU'S DAY' celebrations.

We in the Hockey Citizen Group, which runs One Thousand Hockey Legs, will be celebrating with around 200 children the 'Feel Hockey On Babu's Day'. undefined

It is often said, and it is not without reasons, the present generation does not connect with the past glory of Indian hockey. May be or may not, we don't know exactly.

What we are going to do now is -- it is in fact an experiment -- and see for ourselves whether the present generation connects with the past or not.

This for our learning process, and also to at least let the children know of the past and then see their liking instead of parroting the refrain, the Gen Next does not connect ... etc.

All the boys and girls teams of 8 schools enlisted to One Thousand Hockey Legs will assemble at Greenpark Stadium verdue on these two days. They will be imparted basic hockey initiation, friendly lectures on Babu and on hockey in general, quiz and writing competitions are proposed to be held four hours each day.
Defintely, there will be a plenty of six-a-side matches

So, we are off for two days and an opportunity to forget HI tantrums!

Kunwar Digvijay Singh was born on 2nd Feb 1922.

Click here for more on Babu's life and times

Hockey academy to be built in Karachi

KARACHI: Former Pakistan captain Islahuddin Siddiqui, in collaboration with the City District Government Karachi, will shortly launch a hockey academy at Kehkashan, Clifton.

An international-standard hockey stadium will also be constructed besides the academy with the support of the CDGK and Saddar Town.

An inaugural ceremony was held at the stadium site on Friday which was attended by Olympian Islahuddin, former Test cricketer Sadiq Mohammad, President Karachi Hockey Association (KHA) Wasay Jalil, Nazim Saddar Town Mohammad Dilawar, and TMO Saddar Mukhtar Hussain.

Town Nazim Muhammad Dilawar told reporters on the occasion that the CDGK has done wonderful development work in the city including development of sports infrastructure for the youth.

The construction of the new hockey stadium in Clifton will help the sportsmen in Karachi to use the facilities for developing their skills and in polishing their talent.

Dilawar added that naming the academy after legendary hockey player like Islahuddin was an effort to honour and pay homage to him for his services to the game.

City Nazim Syed Mustafa Kamal will perform the stone-laying ceremony of the new stadium next week.

KHA President Wasay Jalil said a brand new international standard astro-turf will be laid at the stadium.

Led by Islahuddin, a panel of expert coaches will impart training and coaching to youngsters at the academy.